Most families have traditions…especially this time of year. One of ours is to go downtown to the Light Parade. It is typically the first Saturday night in December and it is SO FUN.
This year the theme is “Through the Eyes of a Child.” As in several past years, APS volunteers will be collecting canned food for St. Mary’s Food bank along the parade route just prior to the start of the festivities. Then get ready to be amazed!
OK…it is not the Rose Parade…but there are dozens of floats, performance groups and bands that take part. And of course…a float featuring the Big Man himself…Santa Clause (or Santa Closet as my two year old nephew calls him)!
One piece of advise…or actually a few…from the City of Phoenix web site:
- Consider taking Light Rail to the event and avoiding traffic congestion. The parade route runs right next to the Light Rail stop on Central Avenue, just south of Camelback.
- The parade is a rain or shine event. Keep an eye on the weather and dress accordingly.
- Spectators are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs.
- Coolers are permitted, though alcohol and glass containers are not allowed.
- Viewing spots along the parade route are first-come-first-served. Spectators often start arriving three hours before parade time to reserve spots.
Parking is available on city streets around the parade route and also is on a first-come-first-served basis. Private lots near the parade area often offer parking for a fee.
The part about bringing chairs and blankets is really important. We go all out and take camping stoves and make chili and hot dogs!
Again…from the City’s site:
Parade lovers also can come out to view the official parade judging from 5 to 7 p.m. on Dec. 3 in the main staging area at North Phoenix Baptist Church. During judging, all motorized entries are lit up for official review. Students from Arizona State University will be on hand with kids’ activities. Kids also can get a visit with Santa. Visitors to the judging can enter the staging area at the church at the parking lot entrance on Montebello Road just east of Central Avenue.
We have never done this part…but sounds fun huh!?
Have a safe and blessed Holiday Season everyone! And…see you at the parade!
As always… if you are looking for a GREAT agent to help with your real estate needs please e-mail me atAdele@GreaterPhoenixHomes.com or give me a call (or text) at 602-504-3898 or 888-897-7821 x 114. Plus, I have a GREAT search tool on my web site that gives you the ability to search the entire MLS…just like agents do. Very COOL! Go to Metro Phoenix Homes and check it out! YOU can create and save as many searches as you would like…and it is THE SAME SEARCH I DO AS AN AGENT! You will LOVE it!