Phoenix is the fifth largest city in the United States; this means there will be plenty of things to do throughout the year. Whether you’re into music, wine tasting, art appreciation, or walking like a zombie, Phoenix has got it going on this year.
1. The Heard Museum – One of the best museums in Arizona is located in Central Phoenix. The beautiful aesthetics of the Heard museum combine perfectly with a relaxing environment and make for one fantastic experience. On display in the museum are over 32,000 pieces of fine art, so every visit is a genuinely unique experience.
· What’s more: the Heard Museum has free guided tours every day of the week!
2. First Friday – Whether you’re the artistic type or prefer to casually observe, downtown Phoenix has a special treat in store for you.
On the first Friday of every month, the multitude of shops and restaurants in downtown Phoenix set themselves up as art galleries from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. The monthly event began in 1998, when there were only 13 venues available to display art. Today, there are more than 100 spaces open as galleries and that number only continues to grow.
First Friday is completely free to the public, but is entirely too vast to walk in one night, although free Shuttle-Link services are available. Plan to visit every month to take in everything this event has to offer; there’s always something new to see!
3. Sporting Events – Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks has one of the first stadiums in the world with a retractable roof. It can be opened or closed in less than 5 minutes and the stadium also offers natural turf and air conditioning. Chase Field became the hub for numerous sport-related events and otherwise. In fact, it’s even become home to trade shows and concerts! You can regularly catch the Diamondbacks tearing into their unsuspecting foes in this state-of-the-art facility and there are a ton of restaurants in and outside of the stadium for post-game eats. Chase Field is conveniently located near a light rail station in downtown Phoenix.
Depending on what time of year it is, Phoenix also has professional football, hockey and basketball teams, you may be able to catch your favorite team playing while in Phoenix. University of Phoenix Stadium, home of the Arizona Cardinals also was host to Super Bowl XLII. There are many affordable apartments near all of the sporting venues.
4. The Summer Libation Club – One hour north of Phoenix is Cave Creek, home of Cartwright’s Sonoran Ranch House. Cartwright’s will be hosting the Summer Libation Club, or tasting events, until the 29th of September. Through August 25th, they’ll have the Beers of the World experience.
Every Thursday evening, Anthony Mueller, who is the beverage expert/manager at Cartwright’s, will teach guests all about ales, lagers, microbrews, fruit beers, and Lambic beers. Admission is $15 at the door. If you’re hoppy for hops, you’ll certainly enjoy yourself.
5. Music and More – For those interested in the theater scene, Phoenix is home to an array of venues. The Comerica and Orpheum theaters are two of the most popular, and always have something great going on. For instance, in the next few months, you can catch Ron White at the Orpheum, as well as Josh Groban, Def Leppard, and Ke$ha at Comerica, not to mention all of the other venues around the city. All major concerts, Broadway productions, and even Cirque du Soleil performances make their way through Phoenix.
6. The Desert Botanical Gardens – The desert, not often recognized for its abundant flora, surprisingly has plant life that is severely underappreciated. Did you know that some cactus’ bloom? Yes, they have flowers at the top of their arms.
One of the most impressive botanical collections in Arizona is collected at the Desert Botanical Gardens, located in Papago Park in Central Phoenix. Fifty acres of stunning outdoor exhibits are home to more than 130 rare varieties of plant life.
7. The Phoenix Zoo – The local zoo in Phoenix, voted as one of the top five zoos for kids, is a privately-owned, not-for-profit company, supported entirely by donations and private organizations. Even as one of the youngest zoos in the US, it maintains its voice in the fight for wildlife conservation.
Try to visit the zoo on a cool day, as the animals will often hide in the shade during these scorching hot summer afternoons. On some evenings, you might even catch the zoo hosting concerts! It truly is a great Phoenix must-see.
8. The Glorious Outdoors – Admittedly, it’s more than uncomfortable to venture out into the midday desert sun for recreation, but on the cooler days, Phoenix is the ultimate outdoor experience. The night sky is absolutely fantastic, and there’s plenty to explore.
Even in the city, there are so many outdoor activities for one to dive into, not just water-related fun. You can ride on one of the hundreds of bike trails, have a picnic at a park, go on a hike through the desert, or relax at one of the many outdoor festivals.
9. Way out West Oktoberfest – From October 7th to the 9th, Germany takes over Tempe, Arizona, a close-by suburb of Phoenix.
German culture, beer, and brats will impress at this wild festival tribute to the German Oktoberfest. Enjoy 22 different kinds of German beer and all kinds of entertainment: from live concerts to a footrace.
10. Exciting and Quirky Community Events – The dead will rise from their graves to walk the streets of downtown Phoenix on October 29th. Show up wearing your goriest garb, and don’t forget to perfect your groan and zombie shamble!
For Thanksgiving in November, you can burn off the extra pounds from Grandma’s bread stuffing with the Turkey Day 5k run.
Those looking to find housing or apartments in Phoenix, you are looking in the right place. Phoenix, in all of its grandeur, will welcome you with open arms. Natives, welcome your new neighbors!
As always… if you are looking for a GREAT agent to help with your real estate needs please e-mail me at Adele@GreaterPhoenixHomes.com or give me a call (or text) at 602-504-3898 or 888-897-7821 x 114. Plus, I have a GREAT search tool on my web site that gives you the ability to search the entire MLS…just like agents do. Very COOL! Go to Metro Phoenix Homes For Sale and check it out! YOU can create and save as many searches as you would like…and it is THE SAME SEARCH I DO AS AN AGENT! You will LOVE it!
ATTENTION AGENTS…Is your Real Estate Career or Company taking you where you want to go?
Need MORE business? Need MORE leads? What has your company done for you lately?
Ask Me Why… I joined eXp Realty.