Most of the people who live here in the Valley Of The Sun moved here for one main reason…SUNSHINE! We have an average of 334 days of sun every year.
BUT…in recent years we have become more and more aware of the potential damage that can be caused by too much sunlight. Most folks think about protection when out by the pool…or at the lake…but here sun exposure adds up every day. So what can you do to help protect yourself and your family? Well…here are some general guidelines to follow.
1. Cover up. It sounds HOT to do when it is 100+ degrees…but the more skin you cover…the better. Where a lightweight, long sleeve shirt over a tank top and leave it unbuttoned for air…but enjoy the benefits of covering up your arms.
2. Limit direct sun exposure between 10Am and 4PM. This is when the sun is high in the sky and rays are the strongest.
3. Wear sunscreen. Just put it on EVERY DAY after your shower. At least SPF (sun protection factor) 15…but 30 is even better. You can read more here about types of sunscreens and recommendations. Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going outdoors and reapply every two hours, especially during exercise or swimming.
4. Wear a hat. Not only will you be stylish… 😉 but a hat with at least a 2″ brim will protect the eyes, ears, forehead, nose and scalp.
5. Wear sunglasses that block UV rays. UV blocking sunglasses can help protect your eyes from sun damage…and they do not have to be real expensive. They should block 99 to 100 percent of UVA and UVB radiation.
6. Keep the kids covered and slathered! Kids spend a lot of time playing outdoors and need special attention. They can burn even more easily than adults. Make sure they develop habits of covering up and re-applying sunscreen often.
7. Check your local paper or radio station daily for the UV index. The higher the number, the greater the need for eye and skin protection.
The sun is AWESOME…as long as you take the time to make sure you are not being harmed.
As always… if you are looking for a GREAT agent to help with your real estate needs please e-mail me at Adele@GreaterPhoenixHomes.com or give me a call (or text) at 602-504-3898 or 888-897-7821 x 114. Plus, I have a GREAT search tool on my web site that gives you the ability to search the entire MLS…just like agents do. Very COOL! Go to Metro Phoenix Homes and check it out! YOU can create and save as many searches as you would like…and it is THE SAME SEARCH I DO AS AN AGENT! You will LOVE it!
ATTENTION AGENTS…Is your Real Estate Career or Company taking you where you want to go?
Need MORE business? Need MORE leads? What has your company done for you lately?
Ask Me Why… I joined eXp Realty.